8.05.2008

Decorating for the kiddos...part 2

As promised, here are some highlights of my boys' room.


I love this view of the boys' room. I painted that big horizontal white stripe all around the entire room, and I adore the way it turned out! It gives the room such punch and creates the illusion of width in a fairly long, narrow room! The pretty old dresser was one that The Hubby helped his Grandmother refinish, so we inherited it from her when she passed away. I just love using family heirlooms in my house.
The beds turned out great too. I went back and forth trying to figure out what to do, and then I ran across an upholstered headboard with a monogram in a magazine,and thought "AHA!" I actually made these myself with plywood, batting, $3.99 linen from Joann's and white felt for the monogram. I used my trusty staple gun to upholster the plywood then added the monogram using this great stuff called fabritac. Works like a glue gun without the heat...hooray! No more burned fingers!



Here's a closeup of Mr. One's bed. I added the denim pillow for a little contrast. The airplane pillows are made from the crib bumper that used to be in Mr. Three's crib. Now that he can use it to propel himself out of the crib, I thought it best to get rid of it. But it was so cute I had to do something else with it...TA DA! Pillows. Oh, and although it isn't obvious in the photos, I was going for a sort of menswear look, so both the brown throw pillows and the cream blankets have herringbone weaves reminiscent of men's suiting fabrics.



A closeup of the barn star on top of the dresser. I love me a barn star.
I covered the lampshade to match the denim pillows and window treatments, but then I decided it needed a little color so I added another little star. Just the trick.





I adore these vintage-style balloon hooks. Don't they look nostalgic? And I love to use typography...both letters and numbers as decoration.



The boys' closet door always bumped into the bedroom door, and it drove me crazy. The boys have a large walk-in closet that they love to hide in. I decided to turn it into a little reading area (you can see the desk inside.) So to give them easy access, I added this cute curtain. I used upholstery tacks to fasten it right to the door moulding. I sewed the brown velvet to the bottom, but then used fabritac to attach the ribbon and hide the ugly seam. It turned out great!
I also wanted to share this cute basket I found at Christmas Tree Shop. It's the perfect color for the room and a great place to stash all their books. You can also see part of the crib skirt in this picture. I used some of the same denim and velvet to make a skirt so it would match the curtain on the door and blend with the older boys' beds.
My love of typography also shows itself with this great little towel corner behind the boys' door. I picked up some house numbers at the local big box home improvement store and used them to number each hook so the boys always know which towel is theirs! You can read about this project here.


This chair was a curbside find. I saved it with this great slipcover made from a painter's dropcloth! You can read about it here. It makes a fabulous chair to snuggle in while we read stories! The little table is another heirloom from the Hubby's grandmother. Originally destined for our Master Bedroom, it looks even cuter here in the boys' room. You can read about how I saved it here.


Finally, I just thought I'd show you this cute framed piece I found at Target. It gives that feeling of vintage nostalgia again. Isn't it fun?

I hope you enjoyed this little tour!

33 comments:

pumpkin seed said...

Congratulations on being featured on Todays Creative Blog! I love your decorating! I painted stripes on my daughters wall but they were vertical instead of horizonal. I love the idea of putting barbie clothes in a little shadow box frame! You've got some great ideas girl! I'll be keeping an eye on ya1 Come visit my blog sometime!
http://www.blogger.com/home

Mommy said...

Wooohoooo, aren't you excited to be featured on TCB? I love your blog and can't wait to see more of your style.

Chris said...

I just came over from TCB, and I love your blog! You've got some great ideas on here, and I'll be back for more. No pressure or anything. :)

Stacy said...

Oh lovely pictures - very inspirational! Makes me look at my home and think..."hmmm...I could do something like that!"

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Wendy,
What a great blog you have! Congrats on being featured on TCB! You have a lot of style and I've enjoyed going thru your older posts. I especially love your mudroom closet, I have a "office" closet myself. Gotta love those random spare closets! Can't wait to see your built in computer closet.

Lacy said...

Ok Wendy!!! Hope your ready for a ton of new friends!! Kim hit the jackpot when she found you. I was so excited to see her feature you today. I love your style and am giddy about many more days ahead full of the posts to come!!! Congrats. Ill be back!

Jillinda said...

I love the giant stripe in your boys room. Congrats on being on TCB. I love your site!

mandy said...

Hey loved that framed art from target did you get it recently? I am using that same pottery barn bedding for my baby and it would go great. Thanks!

ROXY said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! Those headboards are great!! They are soooo expensive at Pottery Barn!! I am going to make one this weekend! I will send you a pic to let you know how it comes out!

April Massad said...

Oh my! I found your blog through Todays Creative Blog and MY MY!!! I LOVE it! You are a creative genius! I will be back daily!
Thanks so much for sharing your awesome ideas!
April

Blissful Nikki said...

ok, so your decorating talent is soooooooo not fair! :) I found you over at Today's Creative Blog, and I am sooo in love with you already! :) Going on my FAVES list for sure! :)

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Congrats on being on Todays creative blog! I enjoyed my visit very much! Love your boys'room. I love stars and beadboard as well. We have similiar tastes. Will be adding you to my faves list. cherry

Jennifer said...

Wow, it looks like you are going to be famous!!! Your creativity is just amazing, I'm glad others are finding your site. I love how you describe everything too. I haven't tried anything yet, but it's fun to dream, and you make it seem simple, not too scary.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Found you while browsing around. I have enjoyed reading and viewing all of your decorating ideas. The boys room is great. You definitely have lots of inspiration to offer.

TinaTx said...

Just wanted to say congrats on being featured on Today's Creative Blog (that is where I found you) You have some very creative ideas! Love the little 'mud closet'. I'm also a huge fan of beadboard (especially painted beadboad!)
Looking forward to seeing more creative ideas.

Lauren said...

Love your blog! So much creativity and inspiration. I will definitely visit everyday. :)

Christa said...

Your so creative! I loved getting a chance to look through your blog...I cam over from TCB. I am going to redo my boys room in about a year (they will be trading rooms) so I love getting ideas. I was thinking of doing stripes, but I really like the one large stripe. Thanks for the inspiration.

foreverfoldinglaundry said...

Love, love your blog!! I have 2 boys & a girl sharing a bathroom & your idea with the 3 hooks for towels is PERFECT!! Thanks for the great idea!!

Crystal said...

You have some of the best ideas! Love the boys room!

Kendra said...

Really great ideas! I have been thinking about doing the upholstered headboards for my little girls. How thick of plywood did you use? Did you attach them to the frame at all, or just push the beds up against them?

I also love the hooks. The balloons are fantastic! I never would have thought of the house numbers. I need to get hooks for my kids hooded towels, right now, too.

Love your site!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Oooh my goodness, you are one talented designer! I'm subscribing to get more delicious ideas!

Mel Z said...

Of course I found you through The Creative Blog. LOVE the headboards. Can you tell me how you anchored them? Thanks.

April said...

I was just checking out your blog from TCB. I love your boys room. That is very inspiring. I have little boy and love seeing different decorating ideas. Your very talented!

suburbanmomcooks said...

I really like the upholstered headboards you made. I've been toying with a similar idea...How did you attach them to the wall? Or did you attach them to the bed frame? I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks!
CarrieK
https:/suburbanmomcooks.wordpress.com

suburbanmomcooks said...

I really love your upholstered head boards. I have been toying with a similar idea for awhile...I just don't know how to attach it when I'm done. Did you attach it to the wall? How? Did you attach it to the bed frame? How?

I'd love your input!

Many thanks, CarrieK

Pretty Organizer said...

Still working on getting everything to match. Really, it drives me crazy but when everything you get is second hand... you set yourself up for days of painting and trimming to make a room "go" together. Wendy... you're the queen. Enrichment leader by chance???? Heehee..

Cheryl said...

DARLING!

Meredith said...

You do boy soooo cute!!! I have 3 girls and having a boy scares me, if the day ever comes, you will for sure be my inspiration!

Debbie said...

LOVE the monogram. I am off to look around and see where I can glue some initials!

Astrid said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! This room is just awesome!

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I love this room!! The airplane pillows out of the bolster-- genius! And I adore those balloon hooks. It all turned out fabulously.

charity e said...

I have to ask, does your home always look so spectacular? I am inspired and intimidated all at once. Thanks for sharing so freely. :)

Chandra Chinnis said...

I wanted to ask where you got the bedding? I am doing my boys room and was apprehensive about using a light color on the bedding but you have changed my mind.