4.29.2010

Frugal Friday~

Hello, my dear readers. I was very glad to find out yesterday, that I am not the only one who suffers from Design ADD!! Your comments had me cracking up! If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here to find out if you too suffer from Design ADD ( apparently it is a very common ailment around these parts.)

Now on to the subject at hand...welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday! Today I wanted to share with you my console makeover. If you caught my Blog Parade of Homes post earlier this week, you saw the photos of our in-progress living room. (If you didn't get to see this post click here.) I mentioned that I was going to revive the console with a coat of paint...but I wasn't sure on a color. I was debating between a dark taupe and an olive green. Well, the taupe won. It's a color found in the room's area rug, and I thought it made a nice sophisticated but neutral addition to the room's palette.


So without further ado (is that how you spell it?) here is the console before...



And here is the after...


I ADORE IT!!! The color is Better Homes and Garden's Mink Brown. It really perked up the old console. I never could bring myself to like the console's wood. (But it was a freebie, so what's a Frugal OCD - obsessively consumed with decorating- girl to do?) It was too "rustic" for me, and not in a good way. Now it looks classic and sophisticated and even the funny hardware looks nice. It was a good call! (Now I'm on the lookout for a coffee table to paint the same color.)

mmmmmmmmmmmm. Much better.


Your turn!

You know "da rules"...


1. Please link directly to your post, knot just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, Comment, Comment...show our participants "the love"!





25 comments:

Carmen said...

It looks fab!!! I love that color!

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

I can never get over what a difference paint can make! The cheapest makeover out there! It looks so good - from rustic to french

Thanks so much for hosting the party!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one suffering from decorating ADD!

I love the color you painted that console. It's so elegant and soothing.

Thanks for hosting today!

Megan @ Meanwhile... said...

Ooo, that looks great! This is going to sound weird, but I loved an eyeshadow in high school that was that same shade of minky grey and had totally forgotten about it until seeing your pics. And now I want it *and* a console table. :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

The console looks just gorgeous. Love the color. Hugs, Marty

Red Door Home said...

Great color choice! Looks wonderful.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the new color on your table! Those chairs on either side are great, too!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wow- it looks awesome! i LOVE that color! it is very shabby chic grows up- Love!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

Wendy...your table is beautiful!!! I love love the grey! I would love it in my home :)
Thanks for hosting another Frugal Friday!

Donna said...

Wendy, I can't get over what an incredible transformation you made with that table. You did a fantastic job!

Thanks so very much for hosting Frugal Friday. I can't wait to read more...this evening of course..after all the kids are tucked in bed. Ahhh...lovely!

Marie said...

Hello sweet Wendy - thank you for hosting such great frugalness again this week! And for letting me link up my chairs that I re-covered with drop cloth from my living room curtains!

Love your console makeover! That color is fabulous. Looks like it has a touch of gray in it.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Carrie said...

How am I just now stumbling on your blog? So glad I did... I have a whole house to finish remodeling and decorate once I'm finished - I cannot wait! So, I'm really looking forward to being inspired!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Such a great update, Wendy! And I adore that fan, what a cool piece.

I'm linking up my hubby's new Alabama chair, a yardsale find, totally remade for his office.

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

LOVE this makeover! The table looks fantastic and I am in LOVE with your chairs!!!

I have been a terrible blogger not thanking you for featuring my ALICE IN WONDERLAND party a couple of weeks back and the sweet comment you left. I was thrilled!!! THANK YOU!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Remodelaholic said...

IT looks wonderful and I love the color, but I also LOVE THE CHAIRS! where did you get them, I would love to know.

Thanks

Leanne said...

I love the color. Those chairs are amazing and the fan looks perfect there.

Damaris said...

Hi Wendy,
I'm just topping by to say hi! Your blog looks lovely, as always.

have a good weekend!

LuLu said...

Oh it's perfect!!!! Fantastic color choice!!!!! fresh fresh fresh!!!!!
I love a great transformation... i haven't picked up a paint brush all week and now you totally gave me the kick to crack open a can and find something to paint!!!
happy weekend,
xo,
LuLu

Kolein said...

It's beautiful wearing that color!!!

Angie said...

LOVE IT!!!! Getting ready (eventually) to paint my dinning room table the same color!!
I think. That's assuming my ADD doesn't kick in first! ;)

Susan said...

Your console was beautiful before, but now its even more beautiful!

RJ @ A Life Designed said...

Your console makeover looks great! And oh my goodness, I almost bought a little birdcage like the one under your table at a garage sale today!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Hi There,
I recently added a Link Party Directory to my blog site, Tools Are For Women Too!, listing just over 100 link parties. I made sure that your party was included. Here is the link http://toolsareforwomentoo.blogspot.com/p/link-parties.html Please take a look at it when you have time and link back to me somehow ,if possible. I also do a link party called Modern Craftswoman Monday. Thank you. Rory

shari @ little blue deer said...

Looks so good! Good paint choice, it totally transformed it!!

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

I love how your console table turned out! The color suits it perfectly, and made an amazing difference! And I didn't know that Better Homes and Gardens had a paint line! How is it possible I did not know this? I am going to check this out right now!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend!