From the moment I laid eyes on them, I longed to have a set of these beautiful smocked curtains.
Then while visiting my parents, my Papa dragged me to the basement to look at some of the things we stored at their house before we moved to Massachusetts. Lo and behold, in the box were a pair of curtains from the Princess' nursery.
I remembered them immediately (why had I stored them away? hello?) and knew they would make the perfect smocked beauties I envisioned.
They were inexpensive PB knockoffs...from Tar-jay I believe. But they were just what I needed. Slightly sheer...and they had the added bonus of having a "grid" woven right in. The plaid pattern saved me having to make measurements which was what I was dreading the most in my "smocking" plan.
I figured it would be kind of like creating in fabric, a hairstyle that I have done numerous times on the Princess.
I then took each of the "point" pleats of the "M" and seperated them pulling them down and over so that they met at the next horizontal row down, and the next vertical row over, and sewed them together again.
I repeated that process for 6 rows. I'm not gonna lie. It was kind of a pain. The first panel took me an hour and a half. The second only took about an hour because I had it down to "science" by then.
Now, one thing to keep in mind if you try to tackle a project like this on your own is that you are going to lose the width of the panels by half. So mine had to become stationary panels. They look lovely, however, over the Princess' bed with her old sheers under them.
This is a picture of the Princess' room with the smocked curtains before I redid it, but you can see the panels better in this photo.
Here is the Princess' room after it's redo, just so you can see how it looks today. :-)