2.02.2011

Cupcake in a Jar~

Today I thought I'd share with you all how to make cupcakes in a jar. This clever little creation is a perfect gift. I made the ones I am going to share with you today as hostess gifts a couple of months back, but I think they'd make perfect Valentine's gifts as well.




Here's what you do...

  • First up, make some red velvet cupcakes - do not use cupcake papers, just bake them directly in a greased and floured muffin pan. (Because I am not much of baker, I used a boxed red velvet mix, but you can make them whichever way is best suited to your baking style.)






  • After the cupcakes have cooled, remove them from the pan and cut each one in half crosswise.



Now comes the fun part!


  • Find some small mason jars (I found mine at Michael's craft). Then layer the bottom half of one cupcake,


with a mound of piped cream cheese frosting,


the second half of one cupcake and another large mound of piped frosting. And there you have it. No seriously, that's all.

  • Decorate each jar to make it look festive. Since I made mine as hostess gifts for a holiday party, I wanted them to look wintry. I covered the lid of the mason jar with black damask scrapbook paper and tied a thank you card and a snowflake ornament to the lid with matching ribbon.





  • For Valentine's gifts, they'd look equally as cute, with pink and red paper and ribbons and a pretty heart dangling on the side. The possibilities are endless.

EDITED TO ADD: I've had a couple of people ask...the best way to eat these is with a parfait spoon...perhaps you could tie one to the jar. ;-)


Have a great day~

28 comments:

momof3girls said...

very cute idea!! Thanks!

Custom Comforts said...

What a sweet and unique idea. I'd like to have one of those right now ~ they look yummy.
Cindy

Robyn said...

Brilliant idea! Wonder if you can get an extra long cake fork?

Dada said...

woooooooooooooow so wonderful!!! very copmliments!!!

Chrissy said...

I have made these too, they make great gifts. Who is going to turn down chocolate, right? These would definitely make a great Valentine's gift :)

Kammy said...

What fun and so cute !
Love them (love chocolate)
Hugs,
Kammy

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

How great are these? I mean really! When I furst saw the title I thought it was another "dry mix/baking supply in a jar" post. But what an AWESOME surprise :0)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This is my plan for Valentines Gifts this year. I'm tying a spoon onto them and sprinkling pink sprinkles ontop!

LouAnne said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Now I know what to do for Valentine's Day. :-)

The Frosted Gardner said...

These are cute. What a great idea!

Betsey said...

Okay - so definitely adorable, but how does one eat the cupcake? Are you laughing that it would be me asking - always more interested in the cupcake consumption! :)

Reginia said...

Hellooo sooo cute and easy(which is my cooking style as well!)
Love it -- I want to grab a fork!

alimoll said...

What a FABULOUS idea! This would be perfect for my BONCO group, as hostess gifts! Thanks for sharing!

Atelier de Charo said...

Really a very good idea!

hugs
Charo

Candice and Alyssa said...

Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Jess (hellowifeonline.com) said...

Such a good idea! My mom was recently in town and, despite my hyping them up, I didn't have time to bake her my awesome salted caramel cupcakes. I wonder if these would ship well?...

jessica said...

this is a super cute idea!!! :-)

modern jane said...

So pretty but more importantly YUMMY! I love cream cheese icing:)

yours truly said...

incredibly sweet, i heart cupcakes! I heart this idea. definitely making these, i think i will try to find the small containers so it will be easier to enjoy, I also love the idea of including the parfait spoon. Thanks for sharing.

julie said...

thanks! i think i just found what i will be making the teachers for valentines! too sweet!

-Lucky Mommy- said...

wow, these are so adorable!! and simple to make! Love it.

Rissa said...

Aww, yum! I bet they're fun to eat too!

Betsey said...

I love the parfait spoon attached!! Thanks so much!!! Perfect idea! :)

LuLu said...

Loving this, loving this, loving this!!!! I'm going to whip these up for the teachers!!!!! sooo fun
xo,
LuLu

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

I was just googling these last week! I found some where you back the cake directly in the jar, but that makes me nervous! I like your version better!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

This is adorable. I know what my 4th graders teacher will be getting for valentines day! Thanks

Dayhomemama said...

Oh Yum, will make these for our Valentines party!

Kara said...

This is a darling idea Wendy! I love it when things can be cute and yummy at the same time. :)