10.22.2012

"Built-in Bed" for the Loft Bedroom~

I mentioned in my post on Boys' Space Inspiration last week, that we are in the process of turning my loft home office into a bedroom for my oldest boy.  The loft is on the small-ish side, so we needed to think creatively in the area of space management.  After studying the space (and measuring it about 100 times) I decided that creating a "built-in" bed was the best option.

I am putting quotations around the term "built-in" because - as you know if you've read this blog before - we are living in a rental house.  So creating an actual built-in isn't really an option.  But creating a piece of furniture that will look built-in when it's completed... is.

In order to create this "built-in" bed, I sweet-talked my dad into helping me out.  And by that I mean, I drew up the plan, and he is building it.  :-)  The space isn't quite as wide as a standard twin size bed is long, so the piece had to be custom made, and my Papa is a furniture maker extraordinaire!


Here's a rough sketch I worked up of what I want the bed to look like when it's complete. The three squares in front will be storage drawers with decorative "x" detailing on them.

When we went to visit my parents yesterday afternoon I took a few photos of the in-progress bed.  Forgive the photo quality - all I had with me was my cell phone - and my dad was working on it in the basement which doesn't have very good lighting.  But it will give you an idea anyway.



I'm really excited about how much room there is going to be in the storage drawers.  Boy #1 should be able to put the majority of his clothes and maybe even some of his other stuff in those babies!


And here, my dad is showing me how the drawer fronts are going to fit on each drawer.  Look how deep those things are!  Hooray!

Hopefully, the bed will be done in the next week or so.  Then I just have to paint it and move it into the space.  Can't wait to show it to you when it's all done!

Have a great day~

xoxo
Wendy



4 comments:

Jocelyn Pascall said...

Looking good! I can't wait to see the final product. How nice for them too, that they will have something made with love.

Cynthia said...

It is coming along, I can't wait to see it finished.

Cynthia

Deb Hen said...

hi Please join me for Welcome Home Wednesday on www.vintageonadime.blogspot.com Thanks Debbie

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Looking good! I love the drawers! I want to make a window seat for our guest room with storage and now I'm thinking drawers would be best to add to it!