1.29.2013

E-A-T: How I Created A Kitchen Focal Point Out of Cardboard Letters~

In yesterday's kitchen update reveal, you may have noticed the E-A-T letters above our cabinets.  (Or you may not have - they are kind of small in the photo.)  Today, I wanted to share with you how I created our "EAT" sign.  You've probably seen similar letters all over blogland.  They couldn't be easier to create, and they make a perfect focal point for any empty wall space in your kitchen.



In our kitchen, we have a big empty space between the tops of the cabinets, and the ceiling.  I prefer to keep this space clear of knick-knacks or plants, but it was boring and just BEGGING for something.  So I considered the alternatives and decided that a word of some sort would be the best thing to put there.  And what better word for a kitchen than "EAT"?

Find out more after the jump...







Here's all it takes to create a word for your space...

1. Purchase pre-made cardboard letters.  I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for just a few dollars each.

2. Spray paint them the color of your choice.  For my letters, I chose to spray them in a high-gloss black.  One thing to keep in mind...since the letters are cardboard, they soak the paint up quickly.  It will take more paint than you think to obtain complete coverage.  I like the glossy paint because it gives the letters the appearance of being something other than cardboard.  (What that something is, I'm not sure- resin maybe?)



3. After the letters are thoroughly dry, hammer a sawtooth picture hanger into the back - I like the sawtooth versions because they don't require those teeny-tiny nails.  Then you can easily hang the letters with small nails (since they weigh next to nothing.)


That's all it takes.  Of course, this same method can be easily adapted to any phrase for any room.  The possibilities are endless!  So get your 'word' on!



xoxo
Wendy 
Linking to:

Home Stories A2Z
.

7 comments:

Connie said...

Neat idea - and cheap! My kind of project.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

They look great above your cabinets and I like the glossy black too!

angsays said...

I like it; short, sweet and to the point. :)

Angela

kristin maynes said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have several letters that I swap out when I am in the mood.
Right now I am sporting a 'CALM'.
I'm pretty good with the 3 and 4 letter words with friends!

lynn cockrell said...

What a great job you did. They work perfectly in the space where you put them.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Cute idea! I really like it!