1.15.2013

Kitchen Update Ideas~

It's no secret that we rent our home. I've mentioned it many times on the blog.  And I've also mentioned that our landlords have been very generous in allowing us to make changes like painting, "drawing" on the entry wall,  and even adding board and batten to the kid's bathroom.

One thing we can't change, however, are the finishes in the kitchen.  And although the kitchen isn't bad...it's not what I would choose if I could.  The dining room portion of the kitchen is lovely, so it is what I have focused my time and energies on.

Dining Area


But I think the kitchen is feeling neglected (because kitchens have feelings, you know.) So I've been trying to decide how best to "perk up" the kitchen without changing cabinet color etc.

I've done a couple of things already...for instance, I hid the ugly computer cords at the kitchen desk.




And I added a window treatment.



But after I redid the bar stools last week, I finally figured out what I really want to do...



First, I'm going to whip up another window treatment in the same fabric that I upholstered the bar stools.  (I found a large remnant of the fabric at the store so I got 4 yards for a screaming deal!)

Then, I'm going to paint the back splash.  I'm thinking that chalkboard paint in a similar gray color to our living room accent wall - Martha Stewart's Magnetite - would be perfect and would add a sense of depth.



I'd love to add a small area rug if I can find a good deal on one...and then a few accessories.

It's not much, but I think it will make the kitchen smile if I dress it up just a bit.  Don't you??

I'm hoping to get that window treatment sewn up today, so my plan is to share it later this week.  :-)

Have a great day~

8 comments:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Sounds like a good plan! That fabric you're using is fantastic.

Jane Craske said...

I love updates like that. Especially in winter when everything is a bit dreary it is fab to have a refresh. We need to totally GUT our kitchen in the next year or so but in the summer everything got a paint job and a refurbish of the accessories and it'll do just fine for now.

Rachel O. said...

Yay I can't wait to see it! I bet it's going to look absolutely fantastic. And we're renting, too - our landlords have been super nice about the things we've wanted to do. It's always nice when you get good landlords :)

Gaby {lifeineight.com} said...

I love what you've done with the wall where your telly is. I'm pinning it and keeping it for later on this year when we'll be re-decorating our living-room. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anna See said...

great idea for a relatively simple change with a big impact.

Cynthia said...

Love the fabric, sometimes the tinest change makes a big statement.

Cynthia

lynn cockrell said...

The small changes you made have added a lot of interest and character to the kitchen.

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

I think it is smiling already! Love the barstools! And those topiaries make me so happy :)