1.02.2013

Reviving a Vintage Trophy Cup: Polishing Silver Naturally~

I've mentioned before that my mother is a world-class collector.   And not only that, but she has impeccable taste.  The great thing about this is that pretty much any time I get a bee in my bonnet, I can count on her to have just what I'm looking for.  (That is if I can sweet talk her out of it.)



I have been wanting a vintage silver trophy cup for a long time now - okay, let's be honest, I'd really like to have a few silver trophy cups.  But, my cute mom was willing to part with only one.  Lol!  Seriously, though, I was soooo excited when she agreed to give me one - I don't want to sound ungrateful.



Find out more after the jump...

Being vintage, the cute little cup was quite tarnished.  I wanted to clean it up, but I didn't want to make it pristine.  I wanted it to still have a vintage feel.  And I didn't want to use Silver Polish to do it.  With my boys' Alpha-1, I like to keep things as "green" as possible around here.  So I started researching online to find natural ways to polish silver.  And here's what worked for me...



What you'll need:

Baking Soda
Water
2 Soft Cloths


1. Start by making a paste with the baking soda and water.  Make sure that the paste is thick - similar to the consistency of applesauce (my first version was too watery).



2. Use your cloth to rub the paste onto the silver.  If the tarnish isn't too bad, this should be enough.  In the case of my highly tarnished cup, I had to let the paste sit on the cup for a couple of hours.


3. Rinse off the paste and polish to a shine with a soft, dry cloth.



Look at that shine!  It's not flawless...there's still a bit of a patina there, but it's exactly what I was going for.  I must admit, I was a bit skeptical that the baking soda paste would work, but it really did! (Of course, it took some trial and error for me to figure out the best process to use.)



If you like to try natural solutions to your cleaning dilemmas, you might want to try this process the next time you have something silver that needs polishing.  I was really happy with the result.  For now my cute little trophy cup is sitting on the buffet in my dining room and I'm loving it!

xoxo
Wendy



3 comments:

Katrina from The Block said...

My Mum takes my salad servers every now and then to give them a good polish.

AllyJo said...

I've got some silver to clean up. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year.

Cynthia said...

Great tip and great trphy urn. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia